Wednesday, September 17, 2008

After Ike

Ike has left his mark on south Texas. He was only a Cat 2, but his destruction was more like cat 4 or 5. Ike was huge. I can still hear the crashing and moaning of our trees and house. The eye was eerily silent. Then he rived his motor again. Thankfully, our fence and broken limbs were the only destructive remnants of Ike at our house. We had to do without electricity for five long days. The first two were typical Houston - hot and humid. The last three were unseasonably cool. Open widows at night provided welcomed relief. All of Houston was not so blessed. The unruly lines for ice, water, and gas were everywhere. Tempers had a short fuse. Fist fights and even gun shots were not unusual.

My younger daughter and her husband offered us refuge when their electricity came on in Day 2. Their house is a fairly newly constructed home. My wheelchair made it difficult to maneuver around in their home. A hospital bed is a necessity for me; therefore, returning to our hot house was the only option. Medical emergency power need must be register for with our electricity provider, paperwork filled out by me and my doctor, documents returned, and then and only then will the request be even considered. I was quite perplexed. I had registered my need for assistance with the city and county. I did receive phone calls of concern by both.

Galveston felt the most destruction. Only 60% evacuated. The other 40 stayed on the island. Galveston had weathered worse they thought. The evacuation was reminiscent of Rita.




Ike struck with a vengeance. The west end was destroyed. People clung to rooftops and each other as the surge engulfed the usual hussel and bussel of the gulf shores. Visions of Katrina slapped us all in the face. Will this serene cost line ever return?


No comments: