Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Any anniversaries are times of reflection. Wedding anniversaries are special.


I still vividly remember our wedding May 15, 1971. I made my dress while in college. My sewing studio was a married friend's apartment. My veil was borrowed from my supervising teacher. My dad had recently died, so my very amazing grandfather was to give me away. He grew my favorite flowers - daisies - for our wedding. He grew every one of the ones used to decorate my wedding. He even had a beautiful canopy built for us to repeat our vows under just because I wanted it. He had always spoiled me rotten so nothing was too good for his Punkin'. It was months later that I was told that PaPa had a high fever as a result of pneumonia on my wedding day. Nothing was going to stop him from walking me down the aisle.


May 19, 2007 is the day Jeff and Rebecca married. This was such a special day. Everything was perfect. Rebecca was of course beautiful. The church was European looking; the music was inspiring; the minister was like an old friend. Clayton was the ring bearer - quite a job for a two year old. Instead of rings on his pillow he carried a action figure of Shrek. The reception was unique with an amazing ice sculpture.


June 24, 2000 is Wade and Sarah's anniversary. Their special day was packed with memories. A friend had kept her dress at her house. Sarah and I went to retrieve it. Little did we know that my friend's husband set the burglar alarm. As we unlocked the door and entered, the most horrendous wailing filled our ears. I was told the code but could not remember it. We were running late, so I grabbed the dress and raced to the church. My friend told me later that the police informed her the alarm had been tripped. Sarah and Wade had known each other since they were in the fifth grade so it was no surprise that they married. A video of their journey filled with a collection of individual photos played before the service. It was a beautiful celebration.
Happy Anniversary to all.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the anniversary card, Mom! That was so sweet of you. We had a wonderful wedding, and I am so grateful for all that you & Dad did to make it possible. :)