Monday, August 4, 2008

Through the eyes of a child...


When our younger daughter married a little over 14 months ago, our then two year old grandson was the ring barer. The wedding coordinator expressed serious doubts about the wisdom of this choice. But my daughter assured her that he was mature enough to handle the responsibility. The Perfect Child did an incredible job - even if he was bribed into practicing his duties by carrying a Shrek action figure on the ring pillow down the aisle. As the happy couple left to begin their married life, my daughter chose to have bubbles blown instead of the traditional rice or roses thrown at the conclusion of the gorgeous celebration. The picture above is my grandson's glee as the bubbles rained down on him.

As I reflect on the wedding, I realize his innocent perspective is what I should remember when I evaluate life's joys and disappointments. Life journeys are to be a learning experience; we are to use even the most disheartening to make us grow. Wisdom seems to come as a result of discouragement. I often am a slow learner. I need to be pounded on the head before I "get it". I am learning to be focused on the end of the journey, not on the many road blocks I may encounter.

Oh, to be a child again...

No comments: