Friday, June 25, 2010

June 25, 2010

Today is full of confusion. I am from Louisiana; I remember the bayous, water creatures, Cajuns, crayfish boils and more. I will always remember fishing with my grandfather from a john-boat in a Louisiana bayou. The moss dripping down from the cypress trees was amazing- even the water moccasins were beautiful. I know in my heart that Louisiana will not recover in my lifetime. I pray the Gulf Coast will not experience the fury a hurricane. A way of life seems to be destroyed by the love of money.

But today also made me smile. I tutored a young lady today on her summer reading. It was fun to see her feel more comfortable with a challenging reading. Asking her probing questions gave me "my fix" of teaching. I told my student's mom I was being selfish tutoring her daughter. I had the best of both world's; I got to see a student gain self confidence without having to grade papers. It is much more rewarding to see the glimmer in a student's eyes.

No comments: