Friday, May 30, 2008

Bitter sweet

Today is a flooding me with memories - memories of the staff members at my last school. I was invited to a breakfast and celebration at a local restaurant with my friends from my last school. I was greeted warmly by special friends. Matt is a man I consider my adopted son. He is an amazing friend, baseball coach, English teacher, and father. Ryan is his young daughter. She is a blessed little girl. Friends are leaving the school for other opportunities. So many are real spirits of love and caring. They have been there for me, expecting nothing in return. I will be grateful to have been a part of their journey.

After the breakfast, some very dear friends convinced me to go to the annual "Book Signing" for staff that will not return next school year. The school superintendent spends a great deal of time selecting a book for each "retiree" - one that has personal meaning for each. The occasion is one of thanks and goodbyes. I am sorry I cannot add visuals to the description of this tender day. I probably am the only person alive without a digital camera or a camera on my cell phone.

Leaving school should have been more difficult. But, I know there are other paths I need to travel. However, the aspect of the school I will miss the most are the many students that I was able to meet and to see the amazing adults they are becoming. So many come to mind - Sarah, Chad, Laura, Dani, Josh, Amber, Megan, Chuck, Zac, Taylor, and Kyle. Kyle is a young man who made me have a new appreciation of young people.

When Kyle was in my class several years ago, it was apparent to me that this young man was trying to hide his true abilities. His heart is tender; his mind is eager; his physical abilities and work ethic are unmatched. Kyle was the typical teen aged young man. He had many friends. He played football with a vengeance. He drove his parents to distraction at times. But, Kyle above all is my "knight in shining armor". After one of my exacerbations, I had difficulty driving for about a month. This young man told me that he wanted to drive me to and from school. He would come to be my driver to school at about 6:15 AM. He and his dad would load me - no easy task - in my van. Kyle would then drive me to school. After school and football practice, I would be returned home. Kyle wanted his "chore" kept a secret. He is very humble. His kindnesses did not go unnoticed. Whenever I hear others rant and rave about today's teens, I want them to know about my "kids"; they are amazing young adults - not perfect but honest and "real".

It does not make an adult weak to accept help from a young person. Say "Thank you"; this utterance is such simple and yet powerful words.

No comments: